Sunday, August 26, 2012

OK, I guess it IS a food blog...

Servus!

Since most of the things that I seem to be reporting on are food-related, I think that it would be appropriate to call this a "food blog".

A couple of weekends ago, Anna and I had some friends over for burgers. Now, you may be thinking "what the hell is so special about burgers?", but I can assure you that this is no ordinary burger...

Did I mention that it was hot? This with almost 70% humidity?

Hot, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Anyway, I positioned myself over the grill with no thoughts of the heat and tried my damnedest to make something delicious.

Starting with 100% beef - something that not everyone here in DE does - I formed patties in my wonderful press and grilled them to medium, using only fresh-ground salt and pepper as seasoning.

Anna and I found a sumptuous blue cheese at our grocer - not too strong and not too "moldy" in taste. Very creamy. Anna sliced this and placed it on the still warm patties:

Blue Cheese, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Once you added the necessary components such as lettuce, tomato, bacon, onions, my homemade Roasted Garlic Chipotle mayo, you've got yourself quite a handful!

Plate, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Burger, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

The potatoes you see in one of the pictures were an unmitigated disaster. My intent was to fan-cut the taters and bake them until done and shortly before grilling, spike them with bacon bits and cover with slices of cheddar and let them warm on the grill. Sadly, the timing was all screwed up and we ended up using "grated cheese" and butter while leaving them in the oven and they ended up tasting like a whole lot of nothing. They were even shitty with ketchup...

Live and learn.

The cool thing about this whole evening was not necessarily the food but the whole social aspect of the meal. All condiments, sides, etc. are laid out on the table and no one really has complete access to everything, so there was a lot of asking for this and that and getting up and milling about. This made it fun for everyone - it also cause us to interact with each other - something that formal dining tends to leave out in my opinion.

Table, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

The best part of the meal wasn't the food, but the company in which it was shared.


Guten Appetit!

Jake

No comments: