Thursday, February 25, 2016

Three Wheels and the Truth

Servus!

A bit of a departure from the endless sea of BBQ related posts - I got a new trike in September of last year.

Some of you may be thinking " A trike? Isn't that something for little kids and grandmas?!" I can assure you all that nothing could be farther from the truth.

The truth is that I'm getting older. I can't deal with the pain and discomfort that comes along with riding a standard-framed bicycle. My recovery time from activity has lengthened and my ability to deal with the soreness of the standard "wrist-ass" contact points is lessening. My weight does not help this in any way. So, I looked for a solution to the problem.

I have always been fascinated with the strangeness of the recumbent. There was always something that seemed to be calling me about these oddballs of the road, something that i can't readily explain. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I was always an outsider because I was interested in bicycles instead of standard sports. This is a way to be even more nonconforming. The engineering that went into a recumbent was also fascinating. Here was a machine that was made to be *different*. I like different...

So, here I am, 42 and counting, looking at something that is a cross between a lawn chair and long BMX bike. And I love it.

I spent a lot of time in the Interwebs looking at all the offerings that are available in Europe - looked at various reports on comfort and reliability, researched manufacturing and construction - specifically weight limits and durability. At the end, I came up with HP Velotechnik as the choice for me.

HP Velotechnik is a small company located in central Germany that specializes in making recumbent cycles, specifically trikes. They have a broad palette of recumbents for all types of riding - I was looking for something that was not so "sporty" and more along the line of "trekking". I came up with the Scorpion Plus 20".

 photo 204535E6-684F-4302-8C41-7D6ADE6AD3C2_zps99kqa6ev.jpg

 photo 17202678-E6AA-47BE-8B19-ACA68A40E814_zpslaihqqhf.jpg

 photo 281CBC26-3480-4358-90B4-0C990E972607_zpsi634nmgg.jpg

 photo 76129F51-BF67-4C09-A137-8779ED82B057_zpsc2bhuipj.jpg

Isn't it a work of art?

Some technical details:

Seat width Ergomesh / Ergomesh XL - 38 / 43 cm
Seat angle - 46–54°
Bottom bracket height - 37–43 cm
Suspension travel - 6 cm front / 8 cm rear
Ground clearance - 15,5 cm
Wheel size - 20" (ISO 406)
Max. tire width - 5 cm / 2"
Wheel base - 110 cm
Track width - 86 cm
Width - 91 cm
Length - 168–200 cm
Turning circle - 4,75 m diameter
Weight - 18,8 kg
Folding system - HP Dual Flat Fold D.F.F.
Size folded - 81 × 91 × 83 cm
Max load - max. 150 kg
Frame - heat treated Aluminum (7005-T6u)

Good information to know....

Basically, all these elements come together to make a trike that is both comfortable and built to travel long distances. I specifically had it powder-coated in RAL 1018 Zinc Yellow. Yes, I actually paid money to have it that color. I like how the yellow pops - make it easier to see me on the road.

Some of the interesting features of this machine are:

- It folds. In half. Which is great when you want to transport the thing around without directly riding it. It doesn't pack too small but 81 × 91 × 83 cm is a much smaller package.

- There is no "critical speed" which means you can stop riding and won't fall over. Helpful on those hills...

- The seat position on the Scorpion Plus is raised up 10 cm higher than normal. I sit at about the same height as I would in a car.

The best part about the trike is the feeling you get while riding it. I no longer have to look down at the street and pay attention to where my wheels are tracking. I can look around me, taking in the scenery and enjoying nature. The position of the mesh seat is like a lawn chair and is very comfortable, leaving me to concentrate more on the ride and less on my contact points.

Overall, the trike is slower but you get used to this. It's all about the ride and not about getting there as fast as you can. If you want to do that, drive a car.

Sure, I may look foolish to you but I really don't care. This has taken my cycling to a different level, one in which my comfort, enjoyment, and safety are at the top of the list and no longer relegated to a secondary function of riding. I invite all of you to explore this alternative to a standard bicycle, even if only to experience the difference.

I bid you Peace,

Jake


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I try it out on our next visit? - Dominique

Rattlesnake Jake said...

You are always welcome!

Jake

Anonymous said...

I fully expect you to take that trike and go berzerk in either metro or any other map in BF, and bring that steak, we're hungry in Sweden.